What is an Ice Bowl®? Ice Bowl® is a disc golf event held in January or February for fun and with a mission to increase local awareness of disc golf by raising charitable funds to combat hunger. The following three (more-or-less mandatory) Ice Bowl® Rules convey the spirit of Ice Bowl®:
- Under no circumstances, may an Ice Bowl® be cancelled or postponed because of weather conditions.
- No wimps or whiners are allowed.
- There are no excuses for not attending. Either be there or be called out as a wimp!
These are the dates and locations for Ice Bowls in Nebraska.
|Sat-21 Jan||Ashland, Mahoney SP||Mahoney Ice Bowl||1:00 PM||Zach Kelley|
|Sun-29 Jan||Lincoln, Tierra Park||Lincoln Ice Bowl||1:00 PM||Andrew Chisholm|
|Sat-4 Feb||Omaha, Seymour Smith Park||OMDGA Ice Bowl||12:00 PM||Mr. Bill|
|Sat-4 Feb||Grand Island, LE Ray||GI Ice Bowl||10:30 AM||Darren Holzinger|
|Sat-18 Feb||Hastings, Lake H||Hastings Ice Bowl||10:30 AM||Darren Holzinger|
The Nebraska Ice Bowl History says there has been over $27,000 contributed since 1991. This year the contributions go to:
- Hunters Helping the Hungry
- Food Bank of Lincoln
- Food Bank for the Heartland
- Grand Island Project Hunger
It’s best to dress in layers for outdoor sporting activities in the winter. REI has some good information on the topic: Layering Basics
Stay warm but don’t sweat and come have some fun hucking discs in the winter for a great cause.